Transnet General worker
Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
- Operating Division: Transnet NPA
- Position Title: General Worker
- Employee Group: Permanent
- Department: IFS, Maintenance, MSB
- Location: Mossel Bay
- Reporting To: Manager – Port Engineering
- Grade Level: L1
- Reference Number: 10156146
To provide support service to Artisans/Trade Hands regarding civil/electrical maintenance, repairs and new works service within TNPA Infrastructure Department to ensure timeous completion of tasks and well maintained infrastructure.
- Clean tools and working areas to ensure effective housekeeping, safety and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Collect and carry tools, ladders, and materials.
- Hand chasing walls and floors
- Remove and replace defective, drains, gutters, covers, and kerbstones.
- Removes and replace broken manholes.
- Removes damaged doors, frames, basins, waste pipes, pegs, handles, covers, skirting, vents and traps.
- Scrapes, wash, chip and sand paper
- Open blocked drains, sewer and traps
- Assist with laying of concrete paving slabs/blocks, dish channels
- Cuts and thread tubing
- Remove locks, hinges, covers, doors, windows, fencing, and poles as directed by Artisan.
- Mixing concrete using shovel or concrete mixer as directed
- Removes and replaces furniture and equipment from work areas.
- Excavation using pick and shovel
- Assist with fitting of toilet cisterns, wash basins, water systems, laying of pipes, changing globes,
- Removes and replace tap washers, flush pipe connectors and tap connectors
- Digging holes and trenches.
- Filling and compacting of pot holes
- Erect signposts, trestles or scaffolding
- Removes or demolish old brickwork
- Removes/tightens bolts, nuts, hinges or handles
- Paint work around Port
- Connects/disconnects cables
- Cleaning roof, gutters and down pipes
- Grinding using angle grinder
- Clean work areas, tools and equipment
- Assist with the setting up of shutters
- Lays damp proofing, cement foundation as directed by artisan/supervisor.
- Assist with maintenance and repairs of water/sewer pipes/pumps.
- Assist with sandblasting
- Remove and replace damaged wall and floor tiles ( carpet/ceramic)
- Assist with the erection of scaffolding
- Assist with grass cutting
- Assist with repairs to concrete sea-walls
- Assist with all slipway requirements
- Assist with water and electrical readings
- Fork lift operator and light vehicle driver for general Port duties
Qualifications & Experience
- Grade 10
- 6 Months work experience is required
- Valid Drivers License
- Knowledge of basic civil/electrical hand tools, materials and Equipment.
- Knowledge of safety.
- Knowledge basic Fire-fighting and first aid
How To Apply
The closing date is on 04.04.2018.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to